What we did:
Due friday at the end of class!
In order to complete this assignment, you must have a copy of the textbook.
Complete questions 1-3,5 and 6 on page 314.
watch the following video and answer the questions on the handout.
After reading Act 3 Scenes 1,2,3,& 5 : complete a 7 sentence short essay on one of the following themes:
1. Joy vs. Sorrow
2. Fate vs Free Will
3. Romance vs Realism
Your paragraph should have the sentences in this order:
1. Hook (An opener to your essay)
2. Thesis Statement :
In (title of text), (author) introduces the theme (insert theme) to demonstrate (what is he demonstrating).
3. Quote from the text with citation:
"...." (Act 3, Scene #, Line #)
4. Elaborate on why this quote relates to the theme.
5. Quote with text citation
6. Elaborate why this relates to the theme.
7. Conclusion: Why did Shakespeare include this theme? What message does it send readers?
click here for the text.
Complete the following questions from the textbook:
1. Interpret: In literature, a motif is a repeated image, idea, or theme. Explain the light/dark or day/night motif in Romeo's speech at the beginning of Act 2 Scene 2. What does he mean when he refers to Juliet as "the sun" ? Where else in Act 2 does this motif appear?
2. In Act 2, Scene 2, Juliet says "Whats in a name? That which we call a rose / by any other name would smell as sweet" (lines 43-44 in the textbook). What does she mean? How does this comparison relate to one of the conflicts in her life?
6. In scene 6, Friar Laurence urges Romeo to be cautious. Given what you know about Romeo, and about fates guiding the "star-crossed lovers," do you think Romeo will take his advice? Explain.
After reading act 2 scene 2